Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Big Big Chalkboard



Before I show you the BIG BIG CHALKBOARD let me tell you how it all came about.
For about a year now I have been wanting to make a chalkboard but just never got around to it. Then one day I found the perfect frame. It was a mirror from an old dresser, probably from the 1940s. I easily transformed the frame. First I primed it, then painted it, then color washed it and finally I distressed it. My husband cut a piece of masonite that we purchased at Home Depot. Then came the hard part. I had never painted a chalkboard and wasn't quite sure how to go about it. So I called my friend Paula. She has painted chalkboards before so I wanted to get her expert advice. She recommended I use Rustoleum chalkboard paint and apply at least 3 coats, letting each coat dry overnight. She says she likes to apply it with a foam brush. Then you should wait about a week before you use it. So this is what I did and this is how it turned out.
After I show you mine I will show you the Big Big one she had just purchased.

I love how it turned out.


Shortly after I finished the chalkboard I found the perfect easel to display it.

This is the frame before I painted it.


I think I could have painted the mirror but it was just too heavy.
Masonite is much lighter weight.

This is the frame primed. I also found another frame to work on.


The top of the frame is what sold me.

Then the frames kept coming :)

Okay. Enough about me. Let me show you the BIG BIG CHALKBOARD.

The day I called Paula for advice she told me she had just been to an auction and bought a huge sign originally made and used by artists.
Paula's plan was to turn it into a chalkboard.

Paula lives in a neighboring town from me so by the time I got around to going to her house, she had it all finished.

I love knowing artistic people. You never know what they will come up with next.

This would be so perfect in a restaurant or a little girl's bedroom.
 
 
 
Linking to:
Ivy and Elephants
Gettin' Krafty With It
The Thrifty Groove


 
 
 
 
 
                        

11 comments:

  1. I love the frame you put your chalkboard in. And the one your friend made is pretty too-and huge! I recently did one and looved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for stopping by. Glad you liked the projects...Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fame if perfect and it turned out great...Holy cow, your friend has one fabulously huge chalkboard!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, Thanks for stopping by. Yes, it is huge and very pretty...Connie

      Delete
  4. That is one awesome huge chalkboard frame! I love it. Thank you for joinining TTF this week. have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diann, Yes, it is awesome. That girl has lots of talent...Connie

      Delete
  5. Wow! That is a big chalkboard! I love it and I love yours. I haven't tried making one myself, but I'd love to find just the right frame to do one. Our Michaels has a huge chalkboard where they put class announcements and goings on, sitting on an easel. I love seeing it every time I walk into the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the giant chalkboards. I really love the lines of that first mirror. Just gorgeous. I absolutely love chalkboards & hope to have a big chalkboard of my own soon! Thanks for sharing these at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, Thanks for stopping by... Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh How I Love Love Love Love that chalkbaoard - great find and great makeover!

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave a comment and I will be happy to leave one for you, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...